In todays society babies are being born with more toxins in their blood stream than ever before! Environmental Defence a Canadian organisation recently tested umbilical cord blood of newborn babies for known carcinogens (chemicals known to cause cancer), endocrine-disruptors (they muck with your hormones) and neurotoxins (nobody wants these). What they discovered was startling! Each of the newborn babies had anywhere between 55 to 121 of these substances floating around in their umbilical cord blood. YUCK!
The results closely resemble the now famous Environmental Working Group study which found more than 200 toxic agents in the 10 newborns they tested. This is sickening. Pardon the pun!
With that said you can guess I’m not the biggest of fan of a lot of your generic baby products, most contain a slew of toxic chemicals which only adds to our babies overall toxic load.
The Ones to Watch Out For
- PEG 150 Disterate:
Found in: Shampoo
- Cocoamidopropyl Betaine (Cap B): Known skin irritant
Found in: bubble bath, shampoo, body & hand wash
- Propylene Glycol: Known to cause skin irritation and sensitisation
Found in: Moisturiser
- Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate (SLS/SLES): Can irritate eyes, lungs and skin
Found in: Body & hand wash , shampoo
- Optical Brighteners: Known skin irritants
Found in: Laundry detergents
When your baby is newborn you really don’t have to use a slew of products on their skin. In fact, it’s recommended newborn babies aren’t exposed to moisturiser, body washes etc. for the first 6 weeks of life.
My Top 5 Baby Products
- The Divine Company Calming Baby Bath Wash 250ml enriched with Aloe Vera and soothing Chamomile
- Arrowroot Flour is the perfect natural solution for nappy rash. However, if you’re after a product then my next go to would be The Divine Company Soothing Baby Balm 50ml. Again, ideal for nappy rash but also for teething.
- Joonya Baby Wipes: Infused with aloe vera, chamomile and jojoba oil. They contain no alcohol, chlorine, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, parabens or phenols. Plus, the fabric is biodegradable so you’re looking after the environment too!
- Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles: Plastics disrupt our brains, endocrine system and raise your risk of cancer. Glass bottles are completely chemical free, recyclable, safer to heat and are easier to clean.
- WotNot Baby Sunscreen: Babies skin are thinner when born and should be sheltered from the sun as much as possible. However, it’s not always possible to avoid it especially if you live in a sunny place like I do. Most sunscreens are loaded with chemicals so I’ll be using this sunscreen when I’m out with my girl, it’s free from titanium dioxide and provides broad spectrum protection against UV-A and UV-B. Contains no artificial preservatives – (their preservative is approved by the ACO (Australian Certified Organic) organisation.
By Megan Maitland
NATUROPATH | NUTRITIONIST | BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE